Friday, March 25, 2005

Serif fonts.

I have developed an aversion to serif fonts such as Times New Roman. For preference I use Verdana which has subtle differences from Arial or MS Sans-Serif and which I think is a far more readable typeface.
Arial is a slightly cramped typeface that has connotations of a serif font particularly because of the lower case "a" which I find to stand out almost as though it was purposefully created in a different style from the rest of the font.
Verdana has an open style which is far better proportioned and the "a" fits right in with the rest of the font as if it belongs.
Times is a very cramped typeface, this paragraph is the same point size as the Verdana above but you must agree is not nearly as easy on the eye. It reminds me of cheap paperback books and seems to lower the quality of the text. I know it's almost a 'traditional' font but I do wish that it wasn't the default for everything.
Georgia is Verdana's serif cousin and is more open and readable so as a compromise I tend to use it when serif fonts are required.
For me, Verdana is the queen of fonts.

No comments: