Monday, July 31, 2006

Sandcastle

I am a documentation freak. I do /// style docs by habit whenever I code and until recently I've used NDoc to generate the final output.


Microsoft have been amzingly quiet about documentation. The old doc generator from visual studio sucked and NDoc seemed to have been its far-superior successor so I was waiting eagerly for a version of NDoc that would do generics and all that good stuff. Sadly, I recently read a post that said that the developer of NDoc was giving up because it was obvious that although it was far superior, NDoc couldn't compete against Microsoft's new Sancastle doc generator.


There are two things here that are a real shame. First, NDoc rocks yet the guy never recieved anything like the amount of support he should have. I mean, a 5 buck donation on paypal from everyone who used NDoc would have allowed him to work on the project full time and finish up NDoc 2.0. Did this happen Not on your nellie.

Secondly, not wishing to belittle the Sandcastle effort in anyway but given that Microsoft has a huge fund of cash available, why didn't they just buy NDoc and integrate it into Visual Studio? I guess that would have been too simple.


Anyway, the Sandcastle CTP is out...

No comments: