Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Is this the real one?

I've been giving a lot of thought to virtualization recently. Some while ago I wrote a Z80 emulator and the experience taught me some interesting things.

I think that an algorithm, given the correct system of inquiry, can ascertain that it is an algorithm.

I think however that an algorithm cannot discover the structure of the machine that ultimately underlies it's embodiment.

This is to say that there is no guarantee, for example, that a simulator is not itself running inside yet another simulator and indeed that it might be running encapsulated in yet another ad-infinitum.

There is therefore a certain level of abstraction that cannot be comprehensible to the system that is doing the work.

I think for example that I could write a program that ascertained the registers used in the program within a Z80 assembly code system and could test and analyse the various instructions used in such a way that the program could map its own flow and internal storage. However, if that system were "hosted" on a PC running a Z80 simulator then the system would necessarily stop at the boundaries of what it must consider as it's own "universe"

This means to say that a Turing machine can know that it is a Turing machine but never be sure that it is not encapsulated within another Turing machine.

Interesting eh?



2 comments:

mike said...

This reminds me of an article I read in new scientist. http://t.co/5xEk3sqSTw

I imagine if the underlying environment exposed hooks to query you could only Discern at least one more level. Perhaps like Neo or TRON a catalyst could be introduced to unhinge the whole system :)

Bob Powell said...

Interesting article. I have been aware for some time of the simulated universe hypothesis. Given that any civilization will simulate physics at some time it is technically more likely to be in a simulated universe than in a real one.
The question is that, in the spirit of the conversation, if there were concrete proof that we were indeed just points on someone-else's 3D spreadsheet what would that do for the human collective psyche?
Should someone who had such proof be morally obligated to keep it quiet for fear of being the bearer of news that causes billions to give up all hope or will the truth out itself in any case and could we handle it?
Personally I am very distressed to imagine that my wonderful children are just some set of data points. Furthermore it distresses me to think that science might ultimately prove the existence not of god but of a whole civilization of gods that synthesize universes such as this one to test some interesting hypothesis. Such syntheses are likely to be abruptly ended when the simulation is shown to have resulted in something of a bug is found in the algorithms that test the ideas.
As you can see Mike I've given this all some careful thought...