Monday, March 03, 2008

Vista 64 and performance.


After upgrading to a new graphics card and more memory I get a performance report of 5.0 on my Vista ultimate 32 bit install.


At the same time, I bought a new hard-disk upon which I decided to install Vista 64 bit but this gives me a lower performance rating of 4.3 and crashes every few seconds with a display driver freeze.

I am interested in using Vista46 because I want to take advanage of the 4 gigabytes of memory that is now in my system. My experience so-far however shows that it's buggy, unstable and has serious compatibility and driver issues. It took me five attempts to install a version that even boots without a bluescreen. I accomplished this with the latest vista install with integral service pack one direct from MSDN.

As an MVP I get access to software for free but I can say unequivocally that had I bought Vista64 ultimate I would be a very unhappy customer.

No comments: