Monday, April 13, 2009

A weekend without computers (except iPhones)

So during the Easter break we went to our old house which we're renovating and tried out Trakkus on three clients. To test the system properly my wife and son have signed up for iPhone accounts, they have the 8 gig versions which are on special offer of 99 euros at the moment. Even with my entire music collection, some of which I never-ever listen to, on my 16 gig model I have 6 gigs free so it seems that one would have to be a serious memory hog to use up even the eight gigabyte model.

All three systems have performed well and I have identified some improvements to the system which will be implemented as soon as possible. First I am going to put the display of the web-pages used by the iPhone client into the web client component rather than call out to Safari. This will enable the client to remain up for longer.

I also need to put an image capture button on the beacon dropper so that users can add a snap to the beacon.

Interestingly again this week, even though I took a laptop with me, I didn't use it except to watch a DVD on Saturday evening. All of our out-and-about computing needs were serviced by the iPhones, including one little bug-fix that I did at a distance by driving my PC here via Logmein running on the iPhone.

Before I left I tried setting up ad-hoc distribution via an iTunes account on a PC. I packages the provisioning profile and the .app install file and mailed it to my wife who was able to install it to the iPhone using drag and drop via the iTunes account she uses on her PC. This means that I can indeed distribute this to up to 100 machines for beta test purposes.

If you know anyone who would like to participate in the beta test send mail to beta@trakkus.com where I will make all the necessary arrangements.

No comments: