Thursday, November 18, 2010

The death of the post-script

One has to laugh these days at people who still insist on using the post script form in electronic communication.
When you read over letters of old, usually penned in ink with a pen dipped in an inkwell, it is easy to understand the value of being able to add a thought to the end of a laboriously constructed letter without redoing the whole thing again. Today however, the P.S form should be dead and gone because it's nothing more than an admission that the author was too lazy to use the arrow keys and put the completed tought into the context of the unfinished ones above.
Often in a movie, you will see the "deleted scenes" but no one would be idiot enough to run all the credits, sign off with the producers logo and then come back with "oh bye the way, here are two scenes that we thought would clarify scene 27 and 31a"

2 comments:

Fabrice Marguerie said...

I have to disagree.
I use PS often as a way to add something that is not directly related to the content of the text or that could be ignored.
Funnily enough, most of the time I use PS to innocently catch the reader's attention to something that I consider important.

PS: that' just my way of doing things, and it may not be a common practice

Bob Powell said...

In America, I would often argue with my friends and colleagues about the finer points of what was defined as "English" I would correct their spelling and pronunciation, I will admit, in a tongue in cheek manner, and would often tell them off. However, I feel I have no possibility to argue with you, because you're French, and you writes better english than what I does.
,P.S. I see what you did there :-)