Friday, October 12, 2012

Just killed an Alcatel phone..

Well, interestingly, leading on from my post of a few days ago, the Alcatel 991 phone that I was using to test my new Android based game died a death. I hasten to add that it died all of its own accord and not through the auspices of your's truly.

I had used the phone on and off for maps and i discovered this morning that the compass would only point south! I downloaded the most excellent AndroSensor app to see what the thing was doing and lo, i did see that the magnetometer was showing ten times the signal in the Z direction as the other two and that this did not move if I reoriented the phone. I attributed this to a dry joint on the board as it has all the signatory features.

Later, the phone screen went dark and the vibrating alarm. (One is reluctant to use the word "Vibrator") set itself permanently on and vibrated the battery to oblivion. Sadly for the ladies who read this blog, the thing only lasted about one minute and thirty seconds.

I took it back to ElectroDepot from whence it came and the fascist bastards there said they would send it back and get it fixed rather than refund my money for the POS.

I Grumpily went round to a different store and bought a cheap LG-E400 phone which is small but seems to be more powerful and with a better network connection that the Alcatel. Seriously. that is THE LAST EVER time I buy another Alcatel phone. I had an Alcatel mobile that died suspiciously, I have had many Alcatel house phones that have also died for no reason and now this crap Android phone too.

Back to the code!

No comments: