Thursday, October 27, 2011

Metro has me gnashing my teeth

The developer preview of Windows 8 includes the Metro interface that mimics the touchscreen interface of the Windows Phone 7. I'm actually very pleased with Metro on my Samsung Omnia 7 phone and I actually prefer it as an interface to that of the iPhone however, the desktop equivalent seems to be absolutely horrible to use in a desktop environment.
The way that apps take over the screen is touted as a wonderful feature that enables one to give the app full concentration but when said app has no obvious escape route, the multitasking habits of the seasoned desktop user demand a little less insistence from the application and a wee bit more compliance. I have a touchscreen PC in my kitchen upon which I am tempted to install 8 and gather feedback from the all encompassing demographic of my very diverse family who will test it to death in every mode of utilization.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: