Thursday, October 23, 2003

Voice recognition training pays off

After installing the voice recognition software yesterday, I have been through several of the training sessions and I decided to make this entry entirely by dictation.

You go through the training by reading to the machine. So far I've read text from a philosophy book by Bertrand Russell, the introduction to the war of the world's by H. G. wells the standard voice training manual, and I've also trained it to recognize such words as GDI+ FAQ, these words and phrases are put in individually and you speak the pronunciation for them.

In this entry I've made very few corrections by hand, a word here a space there, and since yesterday the program seems to be recognizing my voice very much better indeed. I'm impressed.

I think one of the advantage is that I have is that I use a very high quality microphone not one of the very small ones that come with many headsets or cheap audo input kits. The microphone is a Sony F. V. 320 which is a midrange home use microphone.

Interestingly, it seems that using voice recognition enables me to use a more relaxed style than I would normally use while typing. I don't know whether this would be a good or bad thing for technical article. certainly voice recognition enables me to input text much faster than I can type. I'm not much of a touch typist.

No comments: