Saturday, November 01, 2003

More on the subject of voice recognition.

I've been using this thing for about a week now and have discovered that on the one hand it's very easy to use and on the other, you have to watch it like a hawk. It's very easy to get into a dictation session and discover only too late that a fair percentage of the text entered by the voice recognition system is complete and utter rubbish. The problem is I suppose, that it's good enough to fool you into a false sense of security by transcribing most of what you say completely faithfully. I've recently written most of a 30 page help document using the voice recognition system. Certainly, it took less time to speak it than it would've taken me to type it although I spent much more time checking it than I would have normally done. The program has an annoying habit of putting in spurious capital letters and missing capital's where you need them. Punctuation can be a little clumsy and I can see only too well the voice recognition will not be a viable medium for programmers in the near to medium future. You would absolutely talk yourself to death trying to say "if (X ==five) {application.exit () ; } " you see, it's possible, to a certain extent, but it took me well over a minute to type in that unhappy if statement above using voice recognition. It might be better for VB because the VB editor takes care of camel caseing etc. for you. Maybe someone should come up with a programmers voice recognition system.

No comments: