Thursday, August 09, 2012

Scientific American too pushy.

For many years I've had an iGoogle page upon which I've put the widgets that interest me and which mostly gather science news and such. One gadget, the Scientific American feed has been the first thing I've read and  contained the most interesting stuff. Well, today, after becoming tired of their pushy tactics, I deleted the widget and will probably not look at their web-site again. What's more, I'll probably not bother to buy the magazine, which I have also done for years whenever I'm at a train station that sells international magazines.

Of late SciAm has started a pester campaign that puts a ten-second full page ad for their subscription service up every time a non subscriber tries to open a page. WTF? The web pages themselves are covered with ads that should more than compensate for the cost of serving pages to an interested reader and yet they still push as hard as they can.

The world is changing. There are different ways to make money on the web. Hassling people on the web is like hassling people on the street! Don't do it because the public becomes hardened to hassles and turns away. The web site needs to offer content to draw people in, not piss them off and turn them away.

Bye bye Sci-Am... Thanks for the memories.

No comments: