Thursday, September 06, 2012

IE 9 Dumped in favour of Chrome

For some time I've been suffering from an odd problem with my PC. The desktop provided by Explorer.exe often crashed becoming completely unresponsive to clicks. The computer would also slow to a crawl with web-pages being particularly badly affected when opened in any browser.

I did a little research online and found that Internet Explorer would sometime crash, leaving an instance of itself in the task-manager and never actually closing correctly. The consequence of all this being the aforementioned desktop freeze.

It seems that this problem has been around for a while and existed in Vista and IE8. I am running Windows 7 64 bit edition and IE9. In any case, the symptoms are identical.

I used the control panel's Add-Remove Windows features dialog to remove IE9 completely. Since then, yesterday, my desktop has remained in functioning condition and the low internet speed problems have gone away.

My default browser is now Google Chrome.

1 comment:

Bob Powell said...

Still running two days later with no desktop lockup. Visual Studio has also stopped telling me it has a problem and needs to close. IE is such crap!