Monday, November 14, 2011

Apple Vs Microsoft

I recently installed the Roslyn bits on my machine, a process that has totally screwed my PC. My Visual Studio install progressively ceased to function, reinstalling it was no help. Programs run slowly and IE crashes all the time. I discovered that there are no system restore points on my machine! A circumstance I found more than bizarre because I added restore points explicitly before adding several new programs. I have also used the iobit uninstaller which creates restore points automatically before uninstalling anything. Where did they go? Well it seems that Windows 7 has a bug that deletes all restore points when rebooting. Joy. My machine is utterly knackered without the possibility of restoring it to sanity even though I made every effort to protect it.

Here's my experience with my Mac and my iPhone. I wanted to update my mac hard drive so I got an external hard drive, plugged it in and enabled Time Machine on the drive.
Next day, I took the hard drive out of the Mac Mini, Plugged in a new one and booted up. My whole OS, all my files, all my work was restored to the drive in a matter of a couple of hours and I continued as before with a new 500GB hard drive as my root drive.
Later, I deleted a bunch of files by mistake because I don't really know how to drive the Mac apart from as a user. Time machine put them all back instantly, Phew! Today, IOS 5 update over the air effectively "bricked" my phone which had to be restored to factory settings. Less than 10 minutes after the phone came back to life, the cloud backup had been restored and my phone was working perfectly again with all its files and settings intact and I haven't even plugged it in for months.

I have always been and will continue to be a Microsoft user because I make my living with their systems. I am a great exponent of their products, reccommeding them to others all the time but I'm sorry to say, that when the chips are down and the disaster strikes, Microsoft has a great deal to learn from Apple.

No comments: