Monday, November 14, 2011

Opting

Google will serve you advertisments according to your demographic information that it may infer from sites you visit. According to my demographic, I am male. Ok, that's acceptable. My demographic also suggested that I am between 24 and 35, cool, I'm 51 but I am young at heart. I like tech, cars and apparently, Ukrainian and Phillipino girls for fun and friendship. Hmmm... I like them so much that the grinning vacuous wenches seem to appear on every AdWords served page I visit.

Strangely, as I've mentioned in this blog before, I actually believe in the ad-driven process because I really like the idea that I can get my searches for free and that someties I may be presented with an advert that I will follow and even make use of. I've certainly bought software online after clicking through an advert and my purchase of a Honda Jazz (Fit if you're in the USA) car was also influenced by ads after I had spent time looking for details on japanese cars.

I went through the process of redacting my demographic as inferred by Google yet still the wenches appear. In desperation I opted out entirely for a day or so but now, after a pang of guilt and no desire to have to pay Google for searching for my antique Sinclair Spectrum 48K or RM-380Z to complete my collection of retro-computing hardware, I am opted back in so now my new demographic info will accumulate again.

Well Google. I've been married for almost thirty years to a seriously sexy blonde who knocks the spots off you're wenches. Also, as a father of children who are now approaching their late twenties, I can't imagine a worse situation than being in a poor sad old man mid-life crisis situation with a twenty four year old kid who would be as frustrating to talk to as my own children sometimes still are.

If I start to get more and more dating site ads I'll opt out for ever and block your miserable cookies till the day I die. That's a promise.

No comments: