Friday, November 18, 2011

My bad...

The home button on my wife's iPhone 4 died recently leaving her much loved companion a useless cripple. I thought I would be clever and replace the button as I had successfully disassembled and reassembled my iPhone 3G to replace a battery and an earphone socket and replaced a broken back glass on her one.

I ordered the button from some dude on eBay and set to work with my big magnifying glass light and my tinest screwdrivers. After carefully following the instructions and laying all the components out in order of disassembly I finally put the home button in, rebuilt the phone and...

The blasted screen looks like all the ink has run. I'm guessing I screwed up the connections to the oled panel somehow but it has faded colours, lines and bits missing BUMMER!!

I had to go buy an iPhone 4S but I'm cagey, I restored Chrissy's backup to my own iPhone 4 which is only a couple of weeks old and I'm keeping the 4S for "important development work" ;-)

No comments: