Saturday, November 12, 2011

Virtual PC 2007 running on Windows 7

In desperation to repair my seriously sick PC and un the situation where I cannot reformat and reinstall my work PC due to the requirement for some paid-for software that I have lost the install CD's for, I decided to use a virtual PC to run Visual Studio which is so busted it won't work at-all these days.

All the problems started when I installed the Roslyn CTP. Flash quit working immediately and now, Visual Studio has progressively failed such that it's unuseable. Windows Forms designers won't load screens or controls, no intellisense etc, etc.

I was inspired to simply set up a virtual machine using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 downloaded from MSDN but after installing it, it refused to run due to compatibility issues with Windows 7. After much head scratching and a bit of thread following I discovered that Virtual PC 2007 will run just fine on Windows 7 as long as you uninstall the Virtual PC update in the programs and features control panel.

It seems that VPC 2007 and this update don't play well together. After removing it I was able to set up a new Virtual PC VHD and OS without further ado.

No comments: